Denise Goldberg's blog

Circles, parks, & funny birds
Wandering in Downeast Maine

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Weather wizard, are you listening?

The forecast for this coming weekend seems to be typical for New England this year - chance of rain, chance of rain, chance of showers, chance of rain. Four days of wandering outside, and according to the ever-changing forecast there is the possibility of water falling from the sky on three of those days. Oh, you're right, the weather forecast is a game of probabilities... Riding in the rain seems to be a natural (or should I say inevitable) part of touring, but I'd love to roll down dry roads this weekend.

Weather wizard - is there any chance of limiting the wet stuff falling from the sky to the overnight hours? I won't ask you for sunny days - although that would be an enjoyable surprise - but dry days would be awesome. I suppose that some showers would be OK. Do you suppose there is a way to space the raindrops out so I can roll between them?

Yes, you're right, I will have lube and cleaning supplies with me so I can keep my bike happy in spite of whatever the weather wizard throws at us. And my rain jacket is coming too.



Forecast images for Bar Harbor, Maine as of June 21st. Tell me, why does the image for "chance of thunderstorms" look more cheerful than "chance of rain"? And why does "chance of showers" look worse than "chance of rain" when showers (to me, at least) sounds like a lighter spray of water? Ah, the weather will be whatever it decides to be - and my bicycle wants to ride! I guess it's a good thing that the TailRider that my camera rides in on the bike has a nice waterproof cover.

Forecast (and forecast images) courtesy of the Caribou office of the National Weather Service